mardi 27 mars 2012

Clyde Brion Davis, THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL--, New York, Farrar & Rinehart, 1938, 309 pages

Sur l'obligation de connaître "la vie" avant d'écrire:

May 12-June 2 1906

"After all, Homer," she said, "you want to be a writer and you'll never do anything about it as long as you're a streetcar conductor."
I had dropped by her house in the evening on my way to work. We were sitting on her front steps, me with my conductor's cap on the back of my headand my lunch pail between my knees.
"Well, I'm learning something of life," I said.
"Yes," she argued, "but the world from a streetcar isn't such a big place. And you won't learn to write about it when you're working twelve hours a day as a conductor. You won't have a chance.

p. 12.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire