mardi 27 mars 2012

Clyde Brion Davis, THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL--, New York, Farrar & Rinehart, 1938, 309 pages

May 12-June 2 1906

My ambition to become a novelist no longer is a vague thing. It is very real. I am directing my thoughts and my reading to the purpose of preparing myself for that career and that is my reason for writing this record.
I shall keep here my thoughts and experiences and impressions and reactions for later use, for, after all, any good novel I think ia merely the distillation of the author's own experiences. I have found that when interesting and even exciting experiences heap themselves upon one, day by day, one is inclined to lose the true flavor of minor incidents stored away in his memory. Each new adventure and each new impression tends to lessen the sharpness of earlier memories. Therefore, I must put incidents down in black and white at their true value before they become tarnished by time.
I now have a splendid opportunity to study and to learn life. I have analysed myself carefully and I know my weaknesses and I know my strenghts. I know I have no head for business, but I feel certain I have a certain facility for writing which will develop as I grow more experienced with the tools of my trade and I know I am more observing than most men and probably more sensitive to impressions. I have a sympathy for people and an ability for putting myself in the other fellow's shoes and I also believe I sense the dramatic possibilities of a situation.

p. 9

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire