lundi 17 janvier 2011

Eric Bogosian, PERFORATED HEART, New York, Simon & Schuster, 2009, 271 pages.

The winner, a tweedy, aging Ivy Leager, florid-faced and wet eyed (due to the quarts of vintagew wine he has consumed daily since his first literary bestseller) jugged up to the podium. The lickspittles leapt to their feet and applauded. With his usual tennis club jocularity he snatched the prize from Catherine Zeta-Jones, took her in his arms and kissed her on the mouth. I shivered with disgust.
The victor leaned into the microphone, thanked his wife, his agent, his housemaid and, of course, Leon, who digested this morsel with beatific sliteyed joy. I could only think, don't thank me, motherfucker. Your writing is vapid and ironic to no purpose. It is a wretched blendof overwrought creative writing school frosting. It is "cute" and it's pointless. All designed to sucker in the peanut gallery. I could never write what you write my friend. I don't "do" sentimentality and I don't do glib. I don't do cliché.
BUT WAIT, what the fuck had I been smoking? I forgot our hero's spot on the bestseller lists! I overlooked the most important aspect of this enterprise, that we're all in it to get RICH! Of course! The true measure of the artist. Does your stuff SELL? Why would anyone be doing this, making all this effort, if not to sell millions of "units" so that the author-hero can become a wealthy author-hero! Then the author-hero can attend more dinners and receive more awards and sell more movie options to the corporate leviathans, and spend more time at more Hamptons get-togethers to cluck and kiss the other author-heros' bronzed cheeks, dazzled by the reflection of the collective genius present. The artist is the antenna of the race and the race is venal and shallow.
(p. 2) 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire