vendredi 6 août 2010

Paul Auster, LEVIATHAN, New York, Penguin Books, 1992

We'd both become writers, we both knew that fundamental changes were needed - but whereas I started to lose my way, to dither around with half-assed articles and literary pretensions, Dimaggio kept developing, kept moving forward, and in the end he was brave enough to put his ideas to the test. It's not that I think blowing up logging camps is a good idea, but I envied him for having the balls to act. I'd never lifted a finger for anything. I'd sat around grumbling and complaining for the past fifteen years, but for all my self-righteous opinions and embattled stances, I'd never put myself on the line. I was a hypocrite and Dimaggio wasn't, and when I thought about myself in comparison to him, I began to feel ashamed.
(p. 252-253)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire