jeudi 5 août 2010

Paul Auster, LEVIATHAN, New York, Penguin Books, 1992

"If I'm not too drunk, I'll start reading it tonight."
"There's no rush. It's only a novel, after all, and you shouldn't take it too seriously."
"I always take novels seriously. Especially when they're given to me by the author."
"Well, this author was very young when he wrote this book. Maybe too young, in fact. Sometimes he feels sorry it was ever published."
"But you were planning to read from it this afternoon. You can't think it's that bad, then."
"I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's young, that's all. Too literary, too full of its own cleverness. I wouldn't even dream of writing something like that today. If I have any interest in it now, it's only because of where it was written. The book itself doesn't mean much, but I suppose I'm still attached to the place where it was born."
"And what place was that?"
"Prison. I started writing the book in prison."
(p. 21-22)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire