vendredi 16 juillet 2010

Bernard Malamud, THE TENANTS, New York, Farrar, Strauss & Giroux, 1971

Lesser asks Willie to grant him good will. "I know how you feel, I put myself in your place."
In cold and haughty anger the black replies. "No ofay motherfucker can put himself in my place. This is a black book we talkin about that you don't understant at all. White fiction ain't the same as black. It can't be.
"You can't turn black experience into literature just by writing it down."
"Black ain't white and never can be. It is once and for only black. It ain't universal if that's what you are hintin up to. What I feel you feel different. You can't write about black because you don't have the least idea what we are or how we feel. Our feelin chemistry is different than yours. Dig that? It has to be so. I'm writin the soul writin of black people cryin out we are still slaves in this fuckn country and we ain't gonna stay slaves any longer. How can you understand it, Lesser, if your brain is white?"
(p. 74-75)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire